Thursday, 13 August 2020

Goliath Barbarian [Commission]





This time I'm talking about the process of my latest commission work. The client gave me a fairly great description of what was wanted: A female barbarian goliath that was raised in a farm by halflings! The goliath race (a type of giant available as a player race for D&D 5th edition), is a race I was anxious to draw for the first time.

About the process:
 
The first thing I did was to sketch the character body type. I had in mind a female body builder type. But I was also aware that I had to convey some softness to the her expression. Then I also realized that she couldn't be too soft and delicate or that would take away from the barbarian strength needed o be represented as well.

After the client approved the body type I went on to draw the character in a firm stance admiring a bird. That was kind of an homage to Snow White. I figured since both characters are of a taller race that were sheltered by a smaller race it would be cool. Also the bird represents the nature connection barbarians are known to have.

After that I had some elements designed separately. An axe; a bear logo that would go on her belt; and a closer portrait of her face. Which, as the client described, was supposed to be "strong/angular (but friendly)". 

Another thing important to me was to design a basic halfling farmer or peasant to make a side by side comparison of size. I put them together, in the next image, with one of those height measurement lines. But I wonder if people know that halflings are supposed to be half the size of a human. So I marked my own height in there, for fun, and to emphasize how tall the barbarian character is. 


In the next image we have among other things the concept for her face. I did the primary resting "content" expression, after that I went for her laughing so I could find a in between smile that would go on the final piece. And since I was on a roll I did the barbarian enraged expression too.

In the lower part we have the side axe model. I was planing on giving it a leather protection, but decided to have them more readily available on the character art.

I also wanted to draw the belt without the weapons in it to show how the holster looks. The belt itself is basically the same magic item as the "belt of stone giant strength" but with a custom belt buckle. Another thing which can't be seen in the character art is that the belt is padded, unlike the original version. I assume the part to open and adjust the belt is behind the buckle. Or maybe is done by magic.



That is it... Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment