Tuesday, 7 July 2020

Scanner problems? Here is the FIX hopefully

As I tried to scan my latest work I discovered that my scanner had a white line running on the digitized image. I confirmed by scanning the cover of a sketchbook.

I had to search for a couple of days what the problem was... Meanwhile I really pondered on how artists that mainly use digital art have it easy! Maybe I should make the switch too. ☺ 

Then let me tell you... If you look at any official support given by HP (the unfortunate brand I use) you're out of luck! Their information on how to fix it sucks. It is the old "turn off and on again and clean the glass..." duh-doy.

Here is how my scans were turning out:
 
Can you see the white streak? So, if you are having a similar problem here is how I recommend fixing it.


A} Is it still in the warranty?
If YES: Send this junk back to the manufacturer's way and have them fix it. Don't void the warranty trying to fix it yourself.

If NO: Go to "B"

B} Ok, it isn't on warranty. But are you made of money?

If YES: Buy a new one, or have some professional fix it. I know it is something dumb to say at this point but...
If NO, you're not made of money: the next step really require some skills and tools.




In all seriousness, here is how to fix that... You will need:

⏺A kit of torx screwdrivers(could be other type for your model), my model needed T10 and T09 to open;
⏺Cleaning cloth or any other specialized cleaning stuff;
⏺A blowing thingy. You know, the air blower stuff for cameras and electronics.
⏺Some mild witchcraft skill...

Now, I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for you opening your printer! If you are clumsy let someone else do it! Don't come asking me on comments what to do next either. I'm only sharing my experience because there is a lack on information on the topic. I'm not a specialist.

The most resourceful stuff I found was this site: It gave me some idea of how the scanner can the disassembled. 
And also this post on reddit: It helped me identify the problem.

You can see in the second image of "step 10" on the first link there is a white strip next to the glass. Apparently if there is one grain of dirt there the streak will appear. You need to clean that. I reckon some people can blow some air without opening the scan. So try the cleaning, reseting the printer/scanner, and blowing air from outside before trying the venture of opening the device.

If none of that worked, careful while opening! The sensitive parts are very loose and putting it together can be a *****. Really try to find some video of someone opening your specific model. Even then you're going to need the air blower to clean the calibration band "the white thingy".
Also do some basic magic spell or prayer to guaranty it as well...

I also recommend figuring out where the line is coming from. Scan a ruler and get a good notion on where the nasty dust is located. Clean it. Put it back together. Should be fixed.

I can't stress this enough: I'm only sharing my experience of fixing it. I'll not be able to help out on the comment section. Nor I take any responsibility if you ruin your device.

No comments:

Post a Comment