Monday, 2 November 2020

Inks of October



In October 2020 I too decided to make a daily drawing in ink. The drawings were primarily meens to try out new inking techniques. But as far as subjects go, I wanted to birth stuff I may want to come back and do a watercolor painting of. They are arranged as they are in the sketchbook page:


The Items of page Nº 1 are not in any discernible order. That is why they are numbered.
Their description:

  • I Cursed creature walks the Earth
    First day was a quadrupedal creature done purely by imagination. It was intended to be as much as a nightmare fuel as possible.

  • II Ghoul gorging a rotten corpse
    Second day was a illustration of a scene from the book Arabian Nights that got my attention. I looked for an ancient Persian piece of art to get the design of the ghoul. I liked how it turned out, I might do something similar in watercolours in the future.

  • III Tropical swamp biter
    Yet with Arabian Nights in mind I tried to create a monster that might lurk in the swamps of India. I want to fill areas other than the desert with amazing foes!

  • IV Long forgotten pumpkin
    A little spooky something to get in the October and Halloween spirit.

  • V Snail
    Just the type of animal I get myself drawing without really thinking much about it.

  • VI The cryptic mummy of the unwanted
    A vase containing the unwanted young of an unknown civilization.

     
  • VII ??????-??????? ??



    G̷̢̙̦̱̮̻͉̾̈́̈́͂̽̋̒̐̓͘͘͜ĭ̴̡̛̺̠̱͓̲͔̜͓̞̹̜̘̙̠ş̴̛̞̪̗̰̪̟͔̻̖͐̈̿̈̏͘̕͝ͅ ̶͈̟͇̝͖̖̾̊̇̓̐͗̓̊̏͛́͝͠͝n̸̮̮͍͚̪̪͒͒͆͌̿̐̿ĕ̵͚͉̝̈́͐̔͒̓̔̀̈͐͘͝ȋ̷̥̎͊ṉ̶̻͙͐͒̆͒͝ ̴̧̛͚͈̟̫̬͖̦̣̻̭̭f̷͔̃̉̃̋͌̄ͅą̵̦͓͎͍̦͇͉̞͍͓̹͓͑̔͒̾̑̿͗̃̚z̸̨͎̘̳͙͊̊̆̌͛̀͋ ̸̢̖̌̇̆͂̾̂̑͐͘͘n̸͈͙̪͖̻͎̠̽͛́̍͛͒̀͘͝u̸̧̎͌̀̍̾̔͐̍̈́͆m̷͔̑̉̈̍͝ ̷̢̜̭̟̘̠͎̗̺̍̍̈́͐̂̕s̸̢̛̬͓͕̰̻̟̠̮̺̞̱͌̓́̈́̈́͘̚̕͝͠͝ā̸̛̳̝̞͔̟̙̭͎̳̙͚̻̽̀̈́́̌̒̈́̍̕͜ļ̷̰͎̝͚̣̼̣͓̰̤̜̑͂̾̊̂͑̎͂͝f̸͚̥̯̬̣̮̳̼̊̆́̈͊̽̎́̾̉́̆̎́̈́?̷͔̞͚̺̭̝̰̥̣͖͊̏̈̔




  • VIII One-eyed bipedal sea dragon
    My version of the Draco marinus monophthalmos bipes a monster from the book Monstrorum Historia.

  • IX Griffin
    Another classical creature. Griffins are so majestic, and I like how in different pieces of art they change style. For this one I wanted to draw the beak in the way Hieronymus Bosch would. Every October I make at least one drawing that investigate his very imaginative world of the bizarre. 

  • X Halloween Horizon
    Like drawing IV, another Halloween spirit page filler.

  • XI Blob Head
    This barely living monstrosity crawls on the dark places of dungeons and it is more dangerous than it appears. The blob head is something I created for one of my original campaign settings but didn't get to use.

  • XII Cinquedea blade
    A very large short blade used in Italy during the Renascence. I can imagine it being the sword of a clean faced optimistic hero. I may use it in a character design in the future.


    The images on page nº3 are also out of order.

  • XIII Sphinx cat learns byzantine secrets
    My October tradition.

  • XIV Taus the unique Punjab instrument
    I dare you to think of a more unique instrument for a "bard" to use in a Arabian Nights setting.

  • XV Arabian weaponry
    Still life with a bunch of medieval weapons are something really enjoyable to draw, next time I shan't do it in such small scale.

  • XVI Scarab
    What can I say? I ♥ drawing Insects.

  • XVII Brittle camel fossil
    A little something using the image references from my Arabian Nights folder. I think I wanted something solemn about this piece representing the old and ephemeral skull. 

  • XVIII Strix the mysterious monster
    A Roman mythology monster that is very underused in fiction, maybe because it doesn't have a Greek counterpart?.

  • XIX Personal messages to those who matter
    My ink bottle and letters, because I was thinking about the personal letter to the Kingdom of Nibana.


  • XX Trick-or-treater
    This one I started off using a generic Halloween costume for reference. After that I decided to spend more time doing a nice background. It is the larger drawing of the whole series.

  • XXI Spooky toys
    After doing the drawing above not a lot of space was left in the page, so I adorned it with some toys matching the character above.



  • XXII Battling the Executioner
    The theme for this page started with this first drawing. I created a random enemy for a an imaginary JRPG and then went on with the dark goth theme. I think it would be great to create a game like that using RPG Maker(?). Something to consider later on.

  • XXIII A somewhat stronger monster is summoned
    The title is a reference to fight against a somewhat stronger monster song
    from Mario RPG. But the creature is a monster yet in the mentality of what could show up in such a game. I experimented with a lot of inking techniques in this one, and it is probably something I'd come back to recreate in watercolours. Possibly with some humanoid summoners for scale.

  • XXIV A chest in a dungeon room
    You go down this long stairway and in the vast dungeon room lit by a pyre to your right you find nothing except for a wooden chest in the middle of it. What do you do?



  • XXV Coffin room
    Composition inspired by a room in the old Dark Shadows TV show.

  • XXVI A lonely gentleman
    As for the second illustration I have already decided on a vampire and gothic theme for this page. I used a photo of Barnabas Collins as reference for the pose, but drew a different person it. He looks familiar...

  • XXVII Kiss from a rose
    "There is so much a man can tell you, so much he can say..."

  • XXVIII A Bat
    A bat is a must when we think of gothic scenery. So this was a little practice drawing these magnificent flying cuties.

  • XXIX Long Ghost
    A very quick drawing based on one of the many marvellous aberrations from my favourite silent movie Au Secours! (1924)

  • XXX Rosary and Allium sativum
    Two common protective talismans against the power of vampires.



  • XXXI Star palace city of Vhelkamahal
    So in the final page and for my final piece I went with a original concept mix of Arabian Nights and Space Opera. I think this would make for a good scenario for an adventure! For my AD&D fans out there, think of Al-Qadim meets Spelljammer(?). As of late I have been infusing a lot of mixes into the Arabian scenario (as if it wasn't ample enough). I figured a horror survival and Space opera are  unique combos that haven't been done much. I'd like to explore them.

No comments:

Post a Comment